If you’re a fan of knitted fabrics, you’ve probably come across double knit fabric at some point. But what exactly is double knit fabric? How is it made and what makes it different from other types of knits? In this comprehensive guide, we’ll answer all your questions about double knit fabric.
Double knit fabric is a type of knit fabric that is made with two sets of needles on a knitting machine, creating a double layer of fabric that is joined together. This results in a thicker, more structured fabric compared to single knit fabrics. Double knit fabric is known for its stretch and recovery properties, making it a great choice for garments that require both comfort and structure.
One of the key characteristics of double knit fabric is its drape. Due to the way it is constructed, double knit fabric has a more stable and structured drape compared to other knits. This makes it ideal for garments that require a more tailored look, such as jackets, skirts, and dresses. Additionally, double knit fabric is less prone to wrinkling, making it a popular choice for travel-friendly garments.
Double knit fabric is also known for its versatility. It can be made from a variety of fibers, including cotton, polyester, wool, and even blends. This means that you can find double knit fabric in a wide range of weights and textures, making it suitable for various seasons and occasions. Whether you’re looking for a lightweight knit for a summer dress or a heavier knit for a cozy winter sweater, double knit fabric has got you covered.
Another advantage of double knit fabric is its durability. Due to its double-layer construction, double knit fabric is less likely to unravel or develop holes compared to single knit fabrics. This makes it a great choice for garments that need to withstand frequent washing and wear. With proper care, double knit fabric can last for years, making it a sustainable choice for your wardrobe.
In conclusion, double knit fabric is a versatile and durable choice for a wide range of garments. Its unique construction, drape, and stretch properties make it a popular choice among fashion designers and home sewers alike. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced sewist, double knit fabric is definitely worth exploring in your next sewing project.
The Basics of Double Knit Fabric
Double knit fabric is a type of knit fabric that is created by using two sets of needles on a knitting machine. It is known for its unique construction, which results in a fabric that is double-sided and stretches in both directions. Double knit fabric is commonly used in the production of garments such as sweaters, dresses, and skirts.
One of the main characteristics of double knit fabric is its stability. Due to its double-sided construction, double knit fabric is less prone to stretching and distortion compared to other types of knit fabrics. This makes it an excellent choice for garments that require structure and shape retention.
Double knit fabric is typically made from synthetic fibers such as polyester, nylon, or rayon. These fibers are known for their durability and ability to hold their shape, which further contributes to the stability of double knit fabric.
Another advantage of double knit fabric is its versatility. It can be produced in a variety of weights and thicknesses, ranging from lightweight fabrics suitable for summer garments to heavier fabrics suitable for winter wear. This makes it a popular choice for all seasons and a great option for creating a wide range of garment styles.
When it comes to care and maintenance, double knit fabric is relatively easy to care for. It is generally machine washable and can be tumble dried on a low heat setting. However, it is recommended to read and follow the care instructions provided by the fabric manufacturer to ensure the longevity of the fabric.
In conclusion, double knit fabric is a versatile and stable knit fabric that is used in the production of various garments. Its unique construction and use of synthetic fibers make it a durable and easy-care fabric option. Whether you’re looking to create a lightweight summer dress or a cozy winter sweater, double knit fabric is an excellent choice.
Advantages of Double Knit Fabric
Double knit fabric offers several advantages over other types of fabric. Here are some of the key benefits:
- Durability: Double knit fabric is known for its durability and strength. The construction of the fabric makes it less prone to tearing or unraveling, ensuring that it lasts longer than other types of fabrics.
- Structure: The double knit construction of the fabric provides a structured and stable appearance. It has a smooth and polished surface, making it ideal for garments that require a more tailored or professional look.
- Stretch and Recovery: Double knit fabric has excellent stretch and recovery properties. It can stretch in both directions, horizontally and vertically, allowing for comfortable and unrestricted movement. After stretching, the fabric quickly returns to its original shape, maintaining its structure and fit.
- Wrinkle-Resistant: Because of its structure and composition, double knit fabric is less prone to wrinkling. This makes it a popular choice for travel or garments that need to maintain a smooth appearance for extended periods.
- Maintains Shape: Double knit fabric has good shape retention, meaning that it does not stretch out of shape or sag easily. Garments made from double knit fabric will maintain their shape after repeated wear and washing.
- Warmth: Double knit fabric provides a certain level of warmth due to its thickness and construction. It has a dense and insulating quality, making it suitable for cooler seasons or climates.
Overall, double knit fabric combines durability, structure, stretch, and recovery, making it a versatile choice for various types of garments and projects.
Different Types of Double Knit Fabric
Double knit fabric is a versatile fabric that is known for its stability and stretch. It is made by knitting two separate layers of fabric together, creating a thicker and more durable material. There are several different types of double knit fabric, each with its own unique properties and uses.
1. Ponte Knit Fabric
Ponte knit fabric is a popular type of double knit fabric that is known for its sturdy and stretchy properties. It is often used for making dresses, skirts, pants, and jackets. Ponte knit fabric is usually made from a blend of rayon, polyester, and spandex, which gives it its stretchiness and shape retention.
2. Interlock Knit Fabric
Interlock knit fabric is another common type of double knit fabric. It is made by alternating knit stitches and purl stitches, creating a smooth and dense fabric. Interlock knit fabric is often used for making activewear, baby clothes, and loungewear, as it is very soft and comfortable against the skin.
3. Milano Knit Fabric
Milano knit fabric is a heavyweight double knit fabric that is often used for making structured garments such as jackets and skirts. It is made from a blend of wool and synthetic fibers, which gives it a smooth and luxurious feel. Milano knit fabric is known for its excellent draping and wrinkle resistance.
4. Jersey Knit Fabric
Jersey knit fabric is a lightweight double knit fabric that is commonly used for making t-shirts, dresses, and pajamas. It is usually made from cotton or cotton-blend fibers, which makes it soft and breathable. Jersey knit fabric has a smooth and slightly stretchy texture, which makes it comfortable to wear.
5. Sweater Knit Fabric
Sweater knit fabric is a type of double knit fabric that is often used for making sweaters and cardigans. It is made from wool or acrylic fibers, which gives it a cozy and warm feel. Sweater knit fabric is known for its texture and ability to hold intricate patterns and designs.
6. Rib Knit Fabric
Rib knit fabric is a type of double knit fabric that has ribs or raised lines running vertically along the fabric. It is commonly used for making collar bands, cuffs, and waistbands. Rib knit fabric is usually made from a blend of cotton and spandex, which gives it its stretchiness and shape retention.
How to Care for Double Knit Fabric
Double knit fabric is known for its durability and easy care, but it still requires proper handling to ensure its longevity. Here are some tips on how to care for double knit fabric:
- Washing: When washing double knit fabric, it is best to use cold water and a gentle cycle. Harsh detergents or bleach should be avoided, as they can damage the fabric. Instead, opt for a mild detergent specifically designed for delicate fabrics.
- Drying: Double knit fabric should not be dried using high heat or directly in the sun, as it can cause the fabric to shrink or fade. It is best to air dry the fabric by laying it flat on a clean, dry surface.
- Ironing: Double knit fabric is generally wrinkle-resistant, but if you need to iron it, use a low heat setting and place a cloth or press cloth between the iron and the fabric to avoid direct contact. Ironing in a gentle, pressing motion is recommended.
- Storing: To preserve the shape of your double knit fabric, it is important to store it properly. Fold the fabric neatly and store it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Avoid hanging the fabric, as it may stretch or lose its shape over time.
- Additional tips: Here are some additional tips for caring for double knit fabric:
- Do not wring or twist the fabric when washing or drying.
- Avoid using fabric softeners, as they can leave a residue on the fabric.
- If the fabric gets stained, treat the stain promptly with a mild detergent or stain remover, and wash it as soon as possible.
- Check the care instructions provided by the manufacturer for any specific recommendations or precautions.
By following these care guidelines, you can keep your double knit fabric looking its best for years to come.
Tips for Sewing with Double Knit Fabric
Sewing with double knit fabric can be a bit challenging due to its stretchy nature. However, with the right techniques and tools, you can successfully sew with double knit fabric and create beautiful garments. Here are some tips to help you with your sewing projects:
- Use a ballpoint needle: Double knit fabric is knit with loops, so using a regular needle can cause the fabric to snag and run. A ballpoint needle has a rounded tip that glides through the loops without damaging the fabric.
- Use a stretch needle: If you’re working with a particularly stretchy double knit fabric, consider using a stretch needle. Stretch needles have a deeper scarf (the indentation above the needle’s eye) that helps prevent skipped stitches and fabric damage.
- Use a walking foot: A walking foot helps feed the fabric evenly through the sewing machine, preventing the layers of fabric from shifting and stretching unevenly. This can be particularly helpful when sewing hems or seam allowances on double knit fabric.
- Use a stretch stitch: When sewing seams on double knit fabric, choose a stretch stitch on your sewing machine. This stitch is designed to stretch with the fabric, making it more durable and less prone to popping under pressure.
- Test your stitches: Before sewing your final garment, test your stitches on a scrap piece of double knit fabric. This will allow you to adjust your tension or stitch length if needed, ensuring that your stitches are balanced and won’t cause the fabric to pucker or stretch excessively.
- Finish your seams: Double knit fabric tends to fray, so it’s important to finish your seams to prevent unraveling. You can use a serger to finish the edges or choose a seam finishing technique like a zigzag stitch or overcasting stitch.
- Press with caution: Double knit fabric is sensitive to heat, so when pressing, use a low to medium heat setting and protect the fabric with a pressing cloth or a piece of muslin. Avoid using steam, as it can stretch and distort the fabric.
- Choose the right thread: Opt for a polyester or nylon thread when sewing with double knit fabric. These threads have some stretch, which will prevent the stitches from snapping when the fabric stretches.
- Practice patience: Sewing with double knit fabric requires patience and careful handling. Take your time, go slowly, and use pins or clips to hold the fabric in place while sewing. This will ensure that your finished garment looks professional and has a clean finish.
Styling Ideas for Double Knit Fabric
Double knit fabric is a versatile and comfortable material that is perfect for creating stylish and cozy outfits. Here are some ideas on how to style double knit fabric for different occasions:
- Casual Chic: Pair a double knit sweater with your favorite jeans and ankle boots for a relaxed yet stylish look. Add a statement necklace or a scarf to elevate your outfit.
- Office Attire: Opt for a double knit dress in a classic silhouette and pair it with a blazer and pumps for a sophisticated and professional look. Consider choosing a solid color or a subtle pattern for a more polished appearance.
- Weekend Comfort: For a cozy weekend look, layer a double knit cardigan over a simple t-shirt and leggings. Complete the outfit with sneakers and a crossbody bag for a casual and comfortable ensemble.
- Dressy Evening: Choose a double knit skirt in a flattering cut and pair it with a blouse and heels for a dressy evening look. Add some statement accessories, such as a clutch and earrings, to add a touch of glamour.
- Sporty Chic: Pair a double knit hoodie or sweatshirt with track pants or leggings for a sporty and trendy outfit. Complete the look with sneakers and a baseball cap.
When styling double knit fabric, remember to:
- Choose the right fit: Double knit fabric has some stretch, so consider opting for a slightly fitted silhouette for a more flattering look.
- Experiment with layering: Double knit fabric is great for layering, so don’t be afraid to mix and match different pieces to create interesting and unique outfits.
- Play with accessories: Accessories can complete and elevate your double knit outfit. Consider adding belts, scarves, or statement jewelry to add personality and style to your look.
- Consider the occasion: Double knit fabric can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. Choose appropriate pieces and accessories to match the event or setting.
With these styling ideas and tips in mind, you can confidently create fashionable and comfortable outfits using double knit fabric.
Double Knit Fabric vs. Other Fabrics
Double knit fabric is a unique type of fabric that offers many benefits compared to other fabrics. Here are some key points to consider when comparing double knit fabric to other fabrics:
- Structure: Double knit fabric is made by knitting two layers of fabric together, creating a thick and stable structure. This double layer construction makes the fabric more durable and resistant to stretching or sagging.
- Weight: Double knit fabric is generally heavier than other fabrics, such as single knit or woven fabric. This extra weight gives the fabric a luxurious feel and makes it suitable for creating warm and cozy garments.
- Elasticity: Double knit fabric has a higher degree of elasticity compared to other fabrics. It has a natural stretch in both horizontal and vertical directions, which allows for a better fit and greater comfort.
- Warmth: Due to its double layer construction, double knit fabric provides better insulation and warmth compared to other fabrics. This makes it an excellent choice for winter garments and cold weather accessories.
- Appearance: Double knit fabric has a smooth and polished appearance on both sides, with a slight rib-like texture. This gives the fabric a more polished and refined look compared to other fabrics.
- Versatility: Double knit fabric is highly versatile and can be used for a variety of garments and projects. It can be used to create dresses, skirts, jackets, sweaters, pants, and more. Its versatility makes it a popular choice among designers and DIY enthusiasts.
When comparing double knit fabric to other fabrics, it is important to consider your specific needs and preferences. While double knit fabric offers many advantages, there may be situations where another type of fabric is more suitable. Ultimately, the choice of fabric depends on the desired outcome and the specific requirements of your project.
Where to Buy Double Knit Fabric
Double knit fabric is widely available from various sources, both online and offline. Here are some places where you can find a wide selection of double knit fabric:
- Fabric Stores: Visit your local fabric stores to see if they carry double knit fabric. Many stores will have a section dedicated to knit fabrics, where you can find a variety of double knit options. Some popular fabric stores include Jo-Ann Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, and Fabric.com.
- Online Retailers: There are numerous online retailers that specialize in fabric sales. Websites like Amazon, Etsy, and Shopify have a wide selection of double knit fabric available for purchase. Be sure to read customer reviews and check the seller’s return policy before making a purchase.
- Wholesale Suppliers: If you’re looking to buy double knit fabric in bulk, consider reaching out to wholesale suppliers. They typically offer discounted prices for larger quantities of fabric. Alibaba and Wholesale Fabric are some examples of wholesale suppliers that may carry double knit fabric.
When shopping for double knit fabric, keep in mind the specific characteristics you’re looking for, such as color, weight, composition, and stretch. It’s also important to consider your project requirements and choose a fabric that will work well with your intended use.
Before making a final purchase, it’s a good idea to order swatches or small samples of the fabric to ensure it meets your expectations in terms of quality and suitability for your project. This can help you avoid any potential disappointments or wasted money.
Overall, there are many options available when it comes to buying double knit fabric, so take your time to explore different sources and compare prices and quality before making a decision.
What is double knit fabric?
Double knit fabric is a type of fabric that is created using two sets of needles on a knitting machine. It is thicker and more stable than regular knit fabric, with two layers of fabric knitted together. The result is a fabric that is smooth on both sides and has a firm structure.
What are the advantages of double knit fabric?
There are several advantages of double knit fabric. First, it is more stable and less prone to stretching than regular knit fabric. It also has a great drape and is less likely to wrinkle. Double knit fabric is also warmer and has better insulation properties, making it suitable for cooler weather. Additionally, it is more resistant to wear and tear, making it a durable choice for clothing.
What are the different types of double knit fabric?
There are several different types of double knit fabric. Some common types include ponte knit, interlock knit, and milano knit. Ponte knit is a stable, medium-weight fabric that is often used for jackets and dresses. Interlock knit is a softer and lighter fabric that is great for baby clothes and t-shirts. Milano knit is a heavyweight fabric with a smooth finish, often used for skirts and pants.
How to care for double knit fabric?
Caring for double knit fabric is relatively easy. It is best to wash it in cold water and on a gentle cycle. Avoid using harsh detergents or bleach, as they can damage the fabric. Double knit fabric can be machine dried on a low heat setting or air dried. It is also a good idea to iron it on a low heat setting, using a pressing cloth to protect the fabric.
What are some common uses for double knit fabric?
Double knit fabric is versatile and can be used for a variety of purposes. It is often used for clothing such as dresses, skirts, and jackets. It is also popular for activewear and sportswear, as it has excellent stretch and recovery properties. Additionally, double knit fabric can be used for home decor items such as pillows and upholstery.