Double knit fabric is a versatile material that is commonly used in sewing projects. It is a type of knit fabric that is made by using two sets of knitting needles and two sets of yarn. This unique construction gives the fabric its distinct stretch and stability.
One of the key features of double knit fabric is that it is reversible, meaning that it looks the same on both sides. This makes it an ideal choice for garments that may be seen from both sides, such as jackets, cardigans, or skirts.
The stretchiness of double knit fabric also makes it perfect for creating fitted garments that require ease of movement. Additionally, this fabric tends to hold its shape well, making it a popular choice for garments that need to retain their structure.
When using double knit fabric in sewing projects, it is important to choose the right tools and techniques. Because of its density, double knit fabric can be a bit challenging to sew. It is recommended to use a ballpoint needle and a stretch stitch, such as a zigzag or a stretch stitch on your sewing machine.
Overall, double knit fabric is a fantastic choice for both beginner and experienced sewers. Its unique properties make it a versatile and reliable material for a wide range of sewing projects.
Understanding Double Knit Fabric
Double knit fabric is a type of fabric that is created using a variation of the knitting technique. Unlike single knit fabric, which is made with a single set of interlocking loops, double knit fabric is made with two sets of interlocking loops. This creates a fabric that is thicker, more structured, and less stretchy than single knit fabric.
Double knit fabric is commonly made from synthetic fibers such as polyester or nylon, although it can also be made from natural fibers such as cotton or wool. The two sets of loops in the fabric create a denser and more stable material, making it ideal for structured garments like jackets, skirts, and dresses.
One of the key characteristics of double knit fabric is its reversible nature. Both sides of the fabric look identical, which means that garments made from double knit fabric can be worn inside out without any noticeable difference. This makes double knit fabric versatile and suitable for use in garments that may need to be reversible.
When working with double knit fabric, it’s important to consider its stretch and recovery properties. While double knit fabric is less stretchy than single knit fabric, it still has some degree of stretch and elasticity. This makes it important to match the type of double knit fabric you are using to the specific requirements of your sewing project.
Some tips for working with double knit fabric include:
- Using a stretch or ballpoint needle when sewing to prevent snagging or damaging the fabric
- Using a walking foot or a serger to help control the stretch and prevent the fabric from stretching out of shape
- Test-fitting and making any necessary adjustments before sewing the final seams, as double knit fabric can be more difficult to alter once sewn
In conclusion, double knit fabric is a versatile and durable fabric that is ideal for structured garments. Understanding its characteristics and how to work with it will ensure successful sewing projects using double knit fabric.
The Basics of Double Knit Fabric
Double knit fabric is a type of knit fabric that is knit with two sets of needles on a circular knitting machine. It is a stable and durable fabric that is often used for garments that require extra structure and shape, such as pants, skirts, dresses, and jackets.
Double knit fabric is made from synthetic fibers, such as polyester, nylon, or a blend of these fibers. The synthetic fibers give the fabric its stretch and recovery, making it easy to wear and care for. It is also available in a variety of colors, designs, and patterns, making it a versatile fabric for sewing projects.
There are several characteristics of double knit fabric that make it popular among sewists:
- Stretch: Double knit fabric has a four-way stretch, meaning it stretches both horizontally and vertically. This makes it ideal for garments that need to be form-fitting and comfortable.
- Drape: Double knit fabric has a medium drape, meaning it falls smoothly and drapes nicely on the body. This makes it suitable for garments that require some structure but also need to have movement.
- Thickness: Double knit fabric is generally medium to heavyweight, which gives it stability and makes it suitable for outerwear and structured garments.
- Resistance to wrinkles: Double knit fabric is known for its resistance to wrinkles, making it a practical choice for garments that need to maintain their shape and appearance.
When working with double knit fabric in sewing projects, it is important to remember a few tips:
- Use a ballpoint needle: Double knit fabric is knit tightly, and a ballpoint needle will help prevent snags and pulls in the knit stitches.
- Use a stretch stitch: Double knit fabric stretches, so it is important to use a stretch stitch, such as a zigzag stitch or a twin needle stitch, to ensure the seams can stretch with the fabric.
- Prevent stretching while sewing: Double knit fabric can stretch out of shape while sewing, so it is important to use pins or clips to hold the fabric in place and stabilize it as you sew.
- Finish seams carefully: Double knit fabric does not fray easily, but it is still important to finish the seams neatly to prevent any unraveling or fraying.
In summary, double knit fabric is a versatile and durable fabric that is perfect for sewing garments that require structure and shape. With its stretch, drape, and resistance to wrinkles, it is a practical choice for a variety of sewing projects. By following a few tips, you can successfully work with double knit fabric and create beautiful garments that are both comfortable and stylish.
Advantages of Double Knit Fabric
Double knit fabric has several advantages that make it a popular choice for sewing projects:
- Durability: Double knit fabrics are known for their durability. The two layers of knitted fabric are interlocked, making it less prone to snagging or tearing compared to single knits.
- Wrinkle-resistant: Double knit fabrics have great wrinkle resistance, making them perfect for garments that need to maintain a neat and professional appearance throughout the day.
- Stretch and recovery: Double knit fabrics often have excellent stretch and recovery properties. This means that they can comfortably accommodate body movements without losing their shape or becoming stretched out over time.
- Warmth: Due to the two layers of fabric, double knits provide an extra layer of insulation, making them ideal for cooler weather garments.
- Versatility: Double knit fabrics can be found in a wide range of weights, colors, and patterns, which makes them suitable for a variety of sewing projects, from pants and skirts to jackets and dresses.
- Ease of sewing: Double knit fabrics are generally easy to sew with, as they have more stability than single knits. They are less prone to stretching during the sewing process, making them easier to handle and manipulate.
- Comfort: The soft and smooth texture of double knit fabrics makes them comfortable to wear against the skin, even for those with sensitive skin.
Overall, double knit fabric is a versatile and durable fabric option that offers many advantages for sewing projects. From its durability and wrinkle resistance to its stretch and recovery properties, double knit fabric is a great choice for creating comfortable and long-lasting garments.
Choosing the Right Double Knit Fabric
When it comes to choosing the right double knit fabric for your sewing projects, there are a few factors to consider. Here are some tips to help you make the best choice:
- Fiber Content: Double knit fabrics can be made from a variety of fiber content, including cotton, polyester, wool, and blends. Consider the desired properties of the fabric, such as breathability, stretch, and durability, and choose a fiber content that suits your needs.
- Weight: Double knit fabrics come in different weights, ranging from lightweight to heavyweight. Consider the purpose of your project and choose a weight that will provide the desired level of warmth and structure.
- Stretch: Double knit fabrics typically have a good amount of stretch, but the degree of stretch can vary. If your project requires a lot of stretch, choose a fabric with a higher percentage of spandex or elastane.
- Appearance: Consider the appearance of the fabric, such as its texture, sheen, and pattern. Double knit fabrics can have a smooth or textured surface, and they can come in solid colors or with printed designs. Choose a fabric that matches the aesthetic you want to achieve.
- Care Instructions: Check the care instructions for the fabric before making your purchase. Some double knit fabrics may require special care, such as hand washing or dry cleaning, while others can be machine washed and dried.
By considering these factors, you can choose the right double knit fabric that will meet your sewing project’s needs and ensure a successful outcome.
Tips for Sewing with Double Knit Fabric
Double knit fabric is a versatile and comfortable material that can be used for a variety of sewing projects. To ensure a successful sewing experience with double knit fabric, consider the following tips:
- Choose the right needle: When sewing with double knit fabric, it is important to use a ballpoint or stretch needle. These needles have a rounded tip that glides between the fabric’s fibers without causing damage or skipped stitches.
- Use the correct thread: Opt for polyester or cotton-wrapped polyester thread when working with double knit fabric. These types of threads have the necessary stretch and strength to withstand the fabric’s properties.
- Pre-wash and dry: Before starting your sewing project, it is advisable to pre-wash and dry your double knit fabric. This helps to eliminate any potential shrinkage and ensures that the fabric will not be distorted after sewing.
- Pin or baste: Double knit fabric has a tendency to shift or stretch during sewing. To prevent this, use pins or basting stitches to hold the fabric in place before stitching.
- Use a stretch stitch: When sewing seams on double knit fabric, use a stretch stitch such as a zigzag or a lightning bolt stitch. This type of stitch allows for the fabric’s stretch while maintaining the strength and durability of the seam.
- Avoid excessive pressing: Double knit fabric is sensitive to heat, so it is important to avoid excessive pressing with a hot iron. Instead, use a lower heat setting and a pressing cloth to protect the fabric.
- Finish raw edges: To prevent fraying and unraveling, finish the raw edges of your double knit fabric. You can use an overlocker, zigzag stitch, or a serger to achieve this.
- Experiment with stabilizers: If you’re working with a particularly stretchy or lightweight double knit fabric, consider using stabilizers to provide added structure and support. Fusible knit interfacing or clear elastic are good options for stabilizing seams and hems.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to sew with double knit fabric confidently, creating comfortable and durable garments and projects.
Popular Sewing Projects for Double Knit Fabric
Double knit fabric is a versatile material that can be used for a wide range of sewing projects. Its unique construction, which creates a double layer of fabric with interlocking stitches, makes it durable, stretchy, and ideal for comfortable garments and accessories. Here are some popular sewing projects that can be made with double knit fabric:
- Dresses: Double knit fabric is perfect for making dresses, as it provides a comfortable fit and has a good amount of stretch. You can choose from a variety of dress styles, such as A-line, shift, or wrap dresses, and experiment with different colors and patterns.
- Skirts: A double knit fabric skirt is a great addition to any wardrobe. You can create a simple straight skirt, a pleated skirt, or even a pencil skirt using this fabric. The stretchiness of double knit fabric ensures a comfortable fit and allows for ease of movement.
- Tops: Double knit fabric can be used to create stylish and comfortable tops. Whether you prefer a basic t-shirt, a casual sweatshirt, or a more formal blouse, this fabric is perfect for achieving a polished look with a comfortable feel.
- Pants and leggings: Double knit fabric is highly suitable for creating pants and leggings. The stretchy nature of the fabric ensures a snug fit while allowing for freedom of movement. You can make straight-leg pants, flared pants, or leggings depending on your preference.
- Accessories: Double knit fabric can also be used to make various accessories. You can create headbands, scarves, gloves, or even bags using this fabric. The stretchiness and durability of the fabric make it ideal for accessories that need to withstand regular use.
When working with double knit fabric, it’s important to use the right sewing techniques and tools. Make sure to use a ballpoint or stretch needle to prevent skipped stitches, and use a stretch stitch or a narrow zigzag stitch to allow for the fabric’s stretch. Additionally, it’s a good idea to test the fabric’s stretch and recovery by creating a small swatch before starting your sewing project.
Overall, double knit fabric is a versatile and comfortable material that can be used for a wide variety of sewing projects. Whether you’re creating garments or accessories, this fabric is sure to give your projects a polished and professional look.
Caring for Double Knit Fabric
Double knit fabric is known for its durability and easy care, making it a popular choice for many sewing projects. To keep your double knit fabric looking its best, it’s important to follow a few simple care instructions.
- Machine wash on a gentle cycle: Double knit fabric can be safely machine washed, but it’s best to use a gentle cycle with cold water to prevent shrinkage or damage to the fabric. Avoid using bleach, as it can weaken the fibers and cause color fading.
- Use mild detergent: When washing double knit fabric, opt for a mild detergent that is specifically formulated for delicate or synthetic fabrics. This will help to preserve the fabric’s color and texture.
- Avoid excessive wringing or twisting: After washing, gently squeeze out excess water from the double knit fabric, being careful not to wring or twist it too forcefully. This can cause the fabric to become misshapen or stretched out of shape.
- Dry flat or hang to dry: It’s best to air dry double knit fabric by laying it flat on a clean, dry surface or by hanging it up to dry. Avoid using a clothes dryer, as the high heat can shrink or damage the fabric.
- Iron on low heat: If necessary, double knit fabric can be ironed on a low heat setting. Be sure to use a pressing cloth or ironing paper between the fabric and the iron to prevent any direct heat contact. This will help to avoid scorching or melting the fabric.
By following these care instructions, you can ensure that your double knit fabric remains in excellent condition for many sewing projects to come.
Where to Buy Double Knit Fabric
If you’re looking to buy double knit fabric for your sewing projects, there are several options available to you. Here are a few places where you can find double knit fabric:
- Fabric stores: Check your local fabric stores for a variety of double knit fabrics. These stores often carry a wide range of fabrics, including double knit, in different colors, patterns, and weights.
- Online fabric retailers: There are many online stores that specialize in selling fabrics. Look for reputable online fabric retailers that offer a wide selection of double knit fabric. Make sure to read reviews and check the return policy before making a purchase.
- Marketplaces: Online marketplaces like Etsy and eBay can also be great places to find double knit fabric. Many independent sellers offer a range of fabrics, including double knit, in various styles and designs. Just be sure to check the seller’s reviews and ratings to ensure a positive buying experience.
- Fabric wholesalers: If you’re planning to buy larger quantities of double knit fabric, consider contacting fabric wholesalers. These suppliers often offer discounts for bulk orders and can provide a wide range of options to choose from.
When buying double knit fabric, consider the project you’re working on and the specific requirements of the fabric, such as weight, stretch, and durability. Also, keep in mind your budget and look for options that fit within your price range.
Remember to always check the fabric content, care instructions, and width of the fabric before making a purchase. This information will help you determine if the fabric is suitable for your project and if you need to buy additional yardage.
Whether you prefer shopping in person or online, there are plenty of options available to help you find the perfect double knit fabric for your sewing projects.
What is double knit fabric?
Double knit fabric is a type of knit fabric that is created by simultaneously knitting two layers of fabric together. This creates a thicker, more stable fabric that is perfect for a variety of sewing projects.
When should I use double knit fabric in my sewing projects?
Double knit fabric is great for projects that require structure and stability, such as dresses, skirts, pants, and jackets. It can also be used for accessories like bags and hats. It is not recommended for projects that require a lot of drape or stretch, as double knit fabric does not stretch as much as other knit fabrics.
Can I sew double knit fabric on a regular sewing machine?
Yes, you can sew double knit fabric on a regular sewing machine. However, it is recommended to use a ballpoint or stretch needle and a stretch stitch or zigzag stitch to accommodate the slight stretch in the fabric. It is also helpful to use a walking foot or a Teflon foot to prevent the fabric from stretching or slipping while sewing.
What are some tips for sewing with double knit fabric?
When sewing with double knit fabric, it is important to use the right needle and stitch. As mentioned earlier, a ballpoint or stretch needle and a stretch stitch or zigzag stitch work best for this type of fabric. Additionally, it is helpful to use pins or clips to keep the fabric in place while sewing, and to finish the raw edges with a serger or a zigzag stitch to prevent unraveling.
Can I wash and dry double knit fabric?
Yes, you can wash and dry double knit fabric. It is recommended to wash it on a gentle cycle with cold water and to tumble dry on low heat or air dry. It is also important to avoid using bleach or harsh detergents, as they can damage the fabric. Following these care instructions will help preserve the quality and longevity of your double knit fabric projects.